Tips To Tackle the AAPC CPC Exam
In my previous article ,I have shared some valuable information regarding the CPC Exam and Collection of question papers .In this article I will give you tips and train you ,how to tackle the CPC Exam .
Read Also - AAPC Medical Coding Certification Details
Some General Information ::
The CPC is a 5 hour and 40 minute exam on paper, which means you will be filling in bubbles with a #2 pencil. There are 150 multiple choice questions on the exam. I took the CPC a few months ago; the following is the rundown of my experience with some tips thrown in for good measure.
My preparation for the CPC was focused on the CPT code-book. I studied one CPT section at a time as well as reviewing the modifiers (this was probably about 8 hours of total study time). I decided on this strategy from looking at the tested categories listed on the AAPC website, it looked like they focused on all the sections of the CPT. This was made clear during the exam when I found that the test questions were broken down into sections—the majority of which were CPT code-book sections.
Read Also - Collection of CPC Question papers
Important : Never do the mistake of considering the Certified Professional Coder certification or CPC exam an easy challenge ,its an exhausting marathon of an exam as it takes about almost 6 hours long. Medical Coding industry and its careers are growing rapid as there is push from federal to implement electronic health records like ICD-10.Tips ::
- Obtain a copy of the authorized CPC study guide from The American Academy of Professional Coders. This is an exceptionally solid reference and guarantees that you don't miss going over any material that will be on the exam.
- If possible, locate and examine the venue where the test will be held the day before the exam is scheduled.
- Do not arrive late for your exam.
- Take the online practice exam, which is accessible on the AAPC site.
- Do however much as you could reasonably be expected to on the practice exams, check the Rationale (signs) will help you in narrowing down the answers.
- A procedure that has been embraced by a great deal of hopefuls is to begin the CPC exam from back to front.
- The CPC confirmation exam takes an exhausting 5 hours and 40 minutes to complete; consequently, it is prudent to consume a protein-rich breakfast that is low in fat substance.
- Medical Terminology – If you are not certain of the answers tag the restorative term in the ICD book. Doing this will greatly help you in figuring out the correct answer.
- The exam is open book.
DURING THE EXAM
- Skip the index. Use the multiple choice options given and go straight to the codes and start matching the code descriptions to your scenario.
- Move quickly but pay close attention to key words in the scenarios that change code selection.
- When you working through the items you skipped and any that you get stuck on, use the process of elimination. You can usually eliminate 2 possibilities very quickly and focus on good codes.
- Skip the inquiries that seem as though they will take quite a while.
- Move rapidly, yet give careful consideration to essential words in the situations that change code choice.
- When you are working through the questions you skipped and any that you get stuck on, finish the rest of the exam and come back to figure out what the question maybe asking you.. You can normally dispose of 2 conceivable outcomes rapidly and concentrate on great codes.
- Don't leave any questions unanswered. An estimate has a 25% possibility of being right, an unanswered question has 0%.
- The simplest areas will be those in which you are most educated. You could begin the test in the middle segment or even in the last, whichever is the least demanding.
- Skip a question that is long or that is not effortlessly justifiable, and return to it later to answer it.
- Review the questions and answers carefully and immediately remove any answer that does not work.
- If any two of the answers are discarded, move ahead with weighing of codes specifically in the plain rundown by skirting the list.
- Finishing the test in the assigned time is essential. As an unpleasant rule, you should have addressed 50% of every last one of inquiries half of the way to the time when the test will be finished.
- Skip the questions that look like they will take a long time. Work through the rest of the exam and come back to the long ones at the end. Make sure you keep your answer sheet straight when you skip!
- Keep your CPT book open to the section you are being tested on. All the questions in a section are from the same category in the CPT book. Flipping pages all over the book is a waste of valuable time.
- Do not think that every question should take two minutes to answer; this is just a normal time to finish the exam, one question may take over two minutes to answer and another may take just a few seconds.
Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. - Denis WaitleyWhat to do In-case you couldn't make it ::
- If you do not earn 70 percent on all three sections of the CPC exam, you are given a "fail" score.
- AAPC lets you retake the exam within a 12-month period at no cost. You will have to register again to obtain a testing date, but you will not have to pay any testing fees.
- If you fail the retest, you have to start the process all over again, which means registering for the exam and paying the appropriate fees. You can take the test as many times as needed to earn a passing score, but you can only do so twice per year.
- When studying for your retest, first review the feedback given you by the examination results.
- The AAPC provides areas of study for all candidates who did not pass the exam. This highlights the material on the exam with which you struggled, and gives you the chance to focus on the sections that need improvement.
- Go back to your preparation material, but this time more focus on your weaker subjects, concepts and skills. You will now be able to reverse-engineer your preparation, knowing where to focus your studying efforts.
If you need any help or have some questions , then don’t hesitate to ask us. We would love to hear your suggestions . Let us know what your views are in the comments. Cheers :)
Tips To Tackle the AAPC CPC Exam Reviewed by Zahri Kahoor on 10:19 AM Rating: